History of Crossroads
Crossroads Community Church was originally incorporated as “Elkhart First Church of the Nazarene” in 1919, when 37 charter members met to worship in a large room above Woolworth’s Dime Store on Main Street, in Elkhart. It was a small group who believed strongly in the church’s teaching of living a life fully surrendered to God.
This group grew to a congregation of 175 and built their first building in 1924 on Scott Street near Elkhart General Hospital. In 1962 the congregation moved to building constructed at the corner of Benham & Hively in order to have an impact on the thousands of people who lived and worked in the surrounding neighborhoods.
In 1995, after many years maximizing the church’s limited space, the Board made the difficult decision to sell the property and relocate. This move was driven by the vision to reach more people for God in the changing culture. After meeting at Concord Middle School for several years, a search committee identified 38 acres of property on County Road 17, which today makes up our Goshen Campus and the Crossroads Professional Park. Our Goshen Campus was completed in 2002 with an addition in 2006. God has honored the step of faith that was taken by our leadership and Crossroads has grown from the group of 75 people that met at Concord Middle School to the 1,700 that attend Crossroads each weekend today. With over 100 people baptized in the last year, we are celebrating the change that happens when people connect with God!
Today our vision is to maximize our resources by connecting people with God as one church with multiple locations. We launched our Warsaw Campus in the fall of 2015 (located at Lakeland Christian Academy) and our Mishawaka Campus in the fall of 2017 (located at the Battell Community Center). Our goal is to have 4 satellite campuses by 2020 and to be connecting thousands of people with God each weekend!